Gairlochy (Scottish Gaelic: Geàrr Lòchaidh) is a clachan, or hamlet, of population approx. 100. It lies on the southern shores of Loch Lochy, a large freshwater loch in the district of Lochaber in the North West Highlands of Scotland. Gairlochy is surrounded by several other small crofting settlements, the largest of which is Achnacarry. Also close by is Highbridge, the site of the first skirmish of the 1745 Jacobite uprising.
Between 1803 and 1822, the Caledonian Canal was built, passing through Gairlochy, over the original site of the River Lochy. Two locks were built for access onto Lochy Lochy, but only one, the Upper Lock, is still in use.
Completed in 1896, the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway passed through the clachan, with a small island-platform station, called Gairlochy Station, in nearby Mucomir, the current site of a caravan park and hydro-electric power station.
Description above from the Wikipedia article Gairlochy,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gairlochy
Licensed under CC-BY-SA, full list of contributors:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gairlochy&action=history
Plan a trip to Gairlochy with Google Maps
Sorry, there are no features listed for Gairlochy
Ratings and Reviews
Unfortunately, TripAdvisor reviews for Gairlochy have not been added to this listing, or the information is not currently available.